Friday, July 17, 2009

July 15th - Ozlo @ Vortex Bar and Grill

This past Wednesday, I was supposed to go to this 30+ ATL event but it was all the way the hell out in Lawrenceville, which is an hour away from where I sleep. I had every intention of going but I made the mistake of stopping at Ikea first. After seeing this woman wearing the most ridiculous pair of pants ever and still being rather new to these here parts, I decided it was a bad idea to travel that far after 9:00pm. I didn't want to waste the night so I headed on over to Little 5 Points grooving to Maxwell and Vikter Duplaix .

I have been threatening to go to Vortex Bar and Grill for the longest and since I was flying solo, I just went ahead and made it happen. I walked through the skull's head and was delighted at the sight of tater tots on a few of the diners' platers. I love tater tots. Yum. I found a suitable seat, ordered a Rum Runner and a plain burger with tots and couldn't believe what I was hearing. In the corner, situated next to the fire exit, was a guy strumming his guitar and singing what sounded like the intro to LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out. It was. I laughed. That song was followed by J Kwon's Tipsy, DJ Khaled's I'm So Hood (video below), Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back complete with the spoken intro, an original ode to marijuana and Ginuwine's Pony.


The guy's name was Ozlo and I was so thoroughly entertained by his musical stylings that I bought him a shot of Jameson's. Turns out that Ozlo was an employee of Vortex and plays at the bar every Wednesday. Evidently, he travels all over Atlanta and delights barhoppers with his hip hop covers at several different venues. And this is yet another reason why I love this country. We create the best music in the world because of the intermingling and influences of so many different cultures. Music appreciation and interpretation transcends our apparent differences which is why there are such genres of music as Blues Rock and Gangster Grass. Anyway, please enjoy Ozlo's video below.
(Ozlo, dude, you killed it. I'm going to come see you again soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment