Saturday, November 14, 2009

November 13th - MJQ Concourse

While I am a staunch believer in party exploration, I do also believe that every partier should have a fallback location which guarantees happy times and nice surprises. For me, since moving to Atlanta, that place is MJQ. I've been there on about four different occasions and have always left smiling, perspiring, and hungry. Those things are always the mark of a bangin' club experience. Last night's experience delivered the same, identical results.


What is it about MJQ that pleases so thoroughly while other clubs are hit or miss? First and foremost, there is no pretense. There is no dress code, no need to floss, no need to impress and no need to be anyone other than yourself. The whole point is to dance. You put on your comfortable shoes, clothes you don't mind getting funky and you go. Of course both men and women will seek out dating opportunities. Let's not forget that it's a nightclub. However, at MJQ you come as you are. While listening to Kenna, Gnarls Barkley and Talib Kweli, I threw on some jeans, some boots and my favorite tee. I was comfy and I possessed the ability to stomp around the dance floor without pain or discomfort for a minimum of three hours.


Second, MJQ opens at 11:00pm. The party gets started at 11:00pm. The DJ doesn't start out spinning garbage. He rocks it nonstop. Last night was Face Off Friday featuring DJ Rasta Root & Jah Prince with the Face Off Crew. Now there are some folks that spin records and create obvious relationships between tracks. Then there are DJs that truly mix. These folks represented the latter. As the doors opened and people gathered at the bar, all heads were nodding, and all bodies were swaying. This kind of phenomenon is precisely why DJs save lives. A good DJ doesn't delay getting you in a mindset where you can dance off any crap keeping you from enjoying the gifts of life. A good DJ reminds you that your body has the ability to heal itself through movement. A good DJ inspires you to perform even if only for an audience of one. (This blog is dedicated to Mike Olds, by the way. Dude, can't wait for your next mixtape.)



Finally, the crowd at MJQ always, always appreciates those dancers who come to really work themselves out on the dance floor. Enough space is provided for these people to dance, contort, bend, dip, dive, curve, crawl, wiggle and groove. There is no judgement. There is only respect and encouragement. Hell, we all wish we could do that sort of thing with our own bodies! Needless, to say my constant partner and I moved around that dance floor something fierce for the better part of two and half hours. My baby fro was soaked and my boots were kicking! We took a break so I could visit MJQ's one weakness....the ladies' bathroom. Never once have I visited that bathroom without finding some disaster in one of the stalls. When are they going to fix that light? Why aren't there ever any paper towels? And then, if it wasn't for the line of girls standing outside of the restroom, there is no way any first-time visitor would be able to differentiate between it and the male facility.

Nevertheless, I waited my turn to relieve myself. While in line, some guy walks up to me and asks me "What was your name again?" I looked at him and replied, "I didn't tell you my name in the first place. What's this 'again' business?" His ego bruised, he backed away with a sheepish grin. I laughed and shook my head. Young men, let's work on creating solid pick-up lines, okay? Don't be afraid to consult with an older gentlemen and ask their advice on approaching women without looking or sounding like a damn fool. Each one teach one.

2 comments: