Sunday, November 8, 2009

November 7th - Compound

Since, my arrival in Atlanta earlier this year, folks keep mentioning all of these great clubs and hot spots which are no longer operating. They were shut down due to violence or changes made in management or the rotten economy or a combination. However, out of the blue, I receive an email from some place called Compound. They told me that all I had to do was RSVP to their email address and show up to the club before 1am this Saturday to receive free entrance on an ordinarily $20.00 cover charge. According to my Sweet Sexy Thang, this was one of THOSE spots that was all the rage not too long ago. I happily forwarded my RSVP. Why the hell not? It couldn't be any worse than that fiasco at Underground Atlanta.


We arrived at about 11:15pm. In all honesty, the location looked crazy. It's kind of tucked away in this area that looks rather industrial. There are no big ass signs denoting that there is a club inside. Just a number of men in red coats with flash lights trying to coax people into their parking lots for a fee of $5.00. We found free parking on the street. Cool. Cool. While walking up to the door, we noticed a very racially mixed crowd. Very cool. We were patted down and they didn't allow ink pens inside. Okay, maybe someone got stabbed in the eye with a pen a while back. Fine. Safety is good. Our names were checked on the guestlist. Good, the RSVP emailing works. The venue was understated and classy, clean... even a bit expensive looking. I liked.



We got through the doors and entered an enclosed patio. It was cold as hell outside. Okay, maybe it's not that cold to a transplant from New York or Chicago or Philly but I'm originally from mild Cali and more recently, hot Vegas. It was cold. Luckily there were plenty of bars available to experience the exquisite heat that can only be received from a libation. (I'm not an alcoholic.) We stepped up to the bar to order a Long Island and a Grand Marnier with pineapple but then our kind bartender informed us that open bar was in effect with any vodka beverage. Oh Bennett the Bartender, you were so lovely for giving us that information. You are a bright shining example of how excellent service is rewarded with fatty tippage. Cranberry and vodka all around! Might I add that Bennett was not stingy with the sauce. My man!



We stepped inside to the actual dance floor. Hella Asians. I was surprised. We know that there is a large and robust Asian community here in metro-ATL from going to a Asian-American cultural festival in Doraville last month. However, until last night, I was perplexed as to where anyone else not Black or African goes to party. But then again, I was specifically looking for a techno /mash-up/hip-hop party scenario and I should have known that there would be more of a mixed crowd when the music leans in that direction. Anyhow, I got inside, took off my coat, drank my drink and started to really enjoy Lloyd's Get It Shawty played over Pitbull's I Know You Want Me beat. From then on, we pretty much danced nonstop for a good forty five minutes. Admittedly, the dance floor never completely filled up. Bennett the Bartender made sure to tell us that the club was indeed under new management and had been reserving its Saturday nights for private events. However, the economy was forcing them to build up the buzz again and get bodies back in the doors starting this very night. It was a decent, fun-loving crowd and I had no complaints. I had plenty of room to throw my 'bows and that's what I like. We took a break to enjoy more free cocktail and visit the Ally Mcbealesque bathroom. That was strange. That's just asking for an STD-spreading scenario between dancing and tequila shots. Thank goodness for monogamy.



We returned to the dance floor, where I finished my own drink and my partners, and successfully attempted to sweep da floor (the dance). DJ Baby Yu (pictured left) played some awesome sets incorporating plenty of West Coast, East Coast and Dirty South on top of high energy grooves. I didn't mind the random ambiguously lesbian chicks dancing with each other. Nor did I mind the guy grinding his woman and requesting that we photograph said grinding. Everyone looked to be of age and they smiled so sweetly for the shot in the midst of all that thrusting and jiggling. We took a couple of less provocative snapshots of our own. By the time I got finished walking it out (the dance) and then directing all of the regions of the nation to do the same, I was both tired and a little more than tipsy. We left Compound completely satisfied save for our hunger for sweet, delicious Checkers. At Checkers, we scored a double decker fish sandwich and chicken fingers. It was fresh off of the grill and absolutely wonderful. You know we had the seasoned fries. I was in slightly inebriated heaven.


But let me just tell you why the night was so ridiculously fabulous. Including gas, cover, parking, drinks, tips and a late night snack, the whole evening cost us $27.00!!! I just love happy times at bargain basement prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment