Thursday, March 12, 2009

March 11th - UNLV Jazz Ensemble II @ Clark County Library

Last weekend, I barhopped my way around Southern Nevada like some kind of restless, carousing nomad. At The Leadership Henderson Alumni Reception, I learned the secrets of nightclub bouncing in an interesting conversation with a veteran of the trade. At Ladies' Night at PT's, I met up with Melissa the Skydiver and scored a free g-string from a couple of interestingly attired representatives of a store called Strings. At Tao, Melissa was offered someone's virginity in a totally inappropriate and roundabout way and I had a drink spilled on me but we both had a great time on the crowded dance floor moving to 2 Live Crew's Hoochie Mama (Parental discretion is advised. Hump wit it). After Tao, I went on to Yardhouse and ate perhaps the worst bowl of clam chowder ever. That was all on Friday night.

On Saturday, I watched men, women and children get their heads shaved at MacMullen's Irish Pub where they were holding the St. Baldrick's Foundation event to benefit childhood cancer research. I was truly amazed at all the money the event raised. (What a really cool example of a great fundraiser, Nonprofits! )

Yes, Las Vegas is good for the restless soul but I was hungry for something more on which I couldn't quite put my finger. I thought of New Orleans, my initial foray into 24 hour living. Bible study followed by Hip Hop Night on Thursdays. Open mic followed by Latin Dance Night on Fridays. Cruising the art museum in City Park before hanging out on Bourbon Street on Saturdays. Snug Harbor, The Red Room, The Funky Butt. I needed to hear some jazz. Therefore, I got on my computer and did a search for jazz performances in Las Vegas. I discovered that the UNLV Jazz Ensemble II would be performing free of charge at the Clark County Library. Last night, I was there early and excited to hear perhaps a swingin' quartet with maybe a guest saxophonist from the east coast. Something like what I would've heard on UNO's campus at The Sandbar. My mouth was watering....but that wasn't what I got.


This is Las Vegas and after regarding the stage, I realized that the wise guys who used to run this town had a tradition of loving the big band variety of jazz. I can dig it. Of late, Frank Sinatra's Fly Me to The Moon has been in heavy rotation on my Ipod. (Is it just me or does Frank look totally blitzed in this video.) I stayed for six songs out of an eleven song concert. It was cool. The audience was probably made up primarily of parents of the student performers but some jazz fans were there as well. The band played very beautifully together and were quite supportive of the young soloists, bless their hearts. It wasn't New Orleans jazz but then again what else is? What I liked most is that this concert offered a female trumpeter AND trombonist. I've never seen that down south. UNLV has a spring concert series and I'm sure that I will attend in the future. After all, it's good to support our local students and get some culture out of the deal.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. my daughter plays the trumpet. being we are from out of state , i can not attend. Thanks for supporting the group.

    ReplyDelete