Sunday, March 8, 2009

March 6th - Skydive Mesquite

Throwing myself out of a flying plane? I think I missed that train about five years ago. But that doesn't stop me from being totally curious about the experience. Thank goodness for the bravery of friends...


Skydiving Mesquite.....I’ve wanted to go skydiving for as long as I can remember, so when it came time to decide what to do for my birthday this year, I figured now is as good a time as any to make it happen. Although I knew I wanted to go skydiving, I also knew I was afraid of jumping from heights. (One of my least fond memories to this day is when my high school swim coach made me compete on the high dive last minute for our diving team.) I had already been indoor skydiving at Las Vegas Indoor Skydiving had a blast, so I knew I had to do the real thing.

Before I could chicken out, I called the highly recommended Skydive Mesquite to make an appointment. My birthday is March 3, so I made my appointment for Friday, March 6, at 3 p.m. Three is my lucky number, so I was pleased when I realized the date (03-06-09) and time of my flight were all divisible by three. My chances of surviving looked good. After securing my appointment, I clicked through to Skydive Mesquite’s YouTube videos. One in particular, "Hit and Chug" caught my attention. Hm. I wonder if we’ll chug a beer when we land. I could probably use a drink after purposely jumping out of a perfectly good plane.


After work on March 6, I set out with my mom and my friends Megan, Nicole and Jenny for Mesquite. My boyfriend Marek was running late, so he drove up separately.We arrived at Skydive Mesquite late, but Brad didn’t seem to mind. Brad, who would be my tandem jumping partner, looked the part of a skydiver. He was tall and good-looking with tanned skin and tan lines in the corners of his eyes. Turns out looks weren’t deceiving. He made his first jump at age 16, and he’s now 44. He estimated he’s done around 5,000 jumps. I decided I would be pretty safe with Brad.


When it was time to go, we practiced first. We got into the tiniest plane I’d ever seen in person. While it was still on the ground, Brad instructed me: "When I say ‘Left leg out,’ put your left leg out. (I did.) When I say ‘Right leg out," put your right leg out. (Easy enough.) Then squat down with your arms crossed in front of your chest." I wobbled. I’m supposed to do this 10,000 feet above the ground?!?

Brad reminded me several times how to position my body as we freefell. "When we’re freefalling, keep your hands like you’re being held up. Head back. Feet at my butt."

Got it. I decided not to worry when the plane didn’t start right away and was reassured when Brad said he’d flown it this morning. No big deal – I’m sure it happens all the time … On the flight up to 10,000 feet, conversation was scarce since Brad was attached to my back, and the plane was pretty loud. I was marveling at the incredible view and how unbelievably high we were when Brad took out the video camera he’d been filming us with.


"Alright, we’re about half way. How do you feel?" he asked cheerfully. We’re only half way up?!? I gulped.


"If I were going to panic, would I have done it by now?" I asked him.


"I don’t know," he responded. Thanks, Brad. A few minutes later, it began to get cold. Really cold. I could see my breath. Under my jumping outfit, I was only wearing a tank top and jeans. I began to wish I’d spent more time planning my apparel. It also looked like a storm might be coming in. Well, I thought, If something happens to the plane, at least I’m already attached to a man wearing a parachute. Although I knew we had to open the door of the plane to jump out of it, I was jolted when he opened it. It just seems unnatural to open the door of a plane mid-flight. It was time. He reminded me again how to position my body when we freefell. Left foot. Holy crap! Right foot. HOLY CRAP! Crouch. Fold arms. Lean. We were freefalling before I knew it. We flipped over. I hadn’t put my body in the right position. Over the wind I could practically hear Brad’s eyes rolling. I fixed my arms and put my legs where I assumed his butt was.


Megan had warned me that when her boyfriend went skydiving, his mouth was dry, so he was making funny faces throughout his entire fall. Her other friend, on the other hand, drooled everywhere. I tried to keep my face as relaxed as I could falling toward the ground at 120 miles per hour.The freefalling was exhilarating, and the view was beautiful. I was surprised I wasn’t scared. Just excited. I felt free. Suddenly Brad pulled the parachute and we practically halted in the air. OUCH! I was thrilled to be safely strapped in, but Good God that harness on my thigh was tight! We lightly floated toward the ground, and Brad taught me how to steer the parachute. By this time, I could hardly feel my fingers, so I was relieved I kept hold of the handles.
I jerkily guided us through the sky. I could see all of Mesquite and much of the surrounding land. It was wonderful!


Eventually, Brad took over the steering, and shortly afterward we slid to a halt in the gravel by the bright yellow flag that had beckoned us from the sky. I made a mental note to keep my mouth shut next time I’m sliding through the dirt. Success!


Brad handed me a "Certificate of Incredible Achievement." It reads: This is to certify, to all who do not believe, that Melissa Rothermel has intentionally and successfully jumped from an aircraft while in flight thousands of feet above the Earth thus joining the elite group of humans who actually do the things they have always wanted to do instead of just talking about them while sitting on the couch watching TV. Sweet.

I selected "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC and "I Want to Get Away" by Lenny Kravitz to accompany my DVD. And then it was over. To celebrate, we decided to meet up with Outpast30 Lady at PTs Pub on Eastern and St. Rose Parkway for ladies night …


Thanks, Ms. Melissa! Boy, she's a trooper. She jumped out of a plane and then went on to barhop with me until about 1:00 in the morning. Truly an adventurer after my own heart. Of course, the barhopping will be reported on soon...



1 comment: