Thursday, April 2, 2009

March 31st - Panevino Ristorante

Let's face it. Everyone's major concern is the economy. Will my business survive? Will I keep my job? Will I be able to hold on to my property? Can I sustain my quality of life? Although, I swear on a Friday night in Las Vegas, one would never know that money was such a major concern. Maybe that's why I was out last Friday and I'll be out again this Friday. It's nice to not worry. It's nice to just live. It is also wise to seek the wisdom and company of others. Doing so over a couple of $5 Ketel One martinis is a great idea. Thus, I did just that this past Tuesday with my fellow Phenomenal Women Las Vegas.


So there we were, inside the stylish confines of Panevino's Ristorante, sitting around eating pizza and drinking martinis. A trio was covering Stevie Wonder and Bill Withers. The sun was making its final descent in the western sky. I believe the technical term for such simple pleasures is networking. Really, it's communing. It's sharing your life experiences, doubts, anecdotes, jokes, observations and energy with people who are trying to reach or perhaps have already arrived at goals similar to your own. Many may complain about Las Vegas being a transient community, a city full of strangers, but I've come to disagree. Never have I encountered so many opportunities to get tipsy with other people. Never have I encountered so many people eager to share their personal stories and business cards with each other. The truth is that the residents of Las Vegas are a very pleasant people representing the great melting pot of our nation and I wasn't slipped a twenty by any of the Phenoms to say that.

We discussed everything from experiences in New Orleans to the housing market to Michelle Obama's popularity to the antics of a man badly in need of lessons in chivalry to the key to making valuable connections at networking events. To all my business-minded people, here are a few tips....

1. Get out. Be seen. Shake hands. Have a glass in your hand. People see you at a few events in a month and suddenly they think they've known you for the past 20 years. It's amazing. You drink with someone once (even if it's only water or cranberry juice)and you'll be surprised how much they are willing to share with you. It's kind of sweet. Mortals are pretty lovely.

2. Go where the wealth is. Last Friday, I went to a National Society of Black Engineers party because those cats have money and were determined to have a good time come hell or high water. There are announcements for events in your local business publications that spell out exactly who's going to be there. You'd be surprised how many of these types of events are cheap and/or free.

3. Follow up. Follow up. Follow up. If you say you're going to email information to the folks you meet, then do it. If you suggest that you do lunch soon, do it. So many people flake or never follow up ever again. I don't think they're hungry enough. Be hungry. Do what you say you're going to do.

I'm off my soap box now. Shots out to the Phenoms and Panevino's.

1 comment:

  1. Great networking advice from one of the best in town. You go Nikki! BTW, let's do drinks soon. I'll follow up with you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete