Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 14th - Moods Music @ Little Five Points

Nothing captivates, motivates, communicates, inspires, relaxes, intrigues, revives or grooves like good music. Every night that I visit a dance club, I put my faith in the DJ to get me exactly where I need to be. I NEED to be high, free, moving my body, stretching, flowing, and letting go of my cares inside the womb-like warmth of a jammin -ass melody wrapped around a smooth beat. That's probably why there's been so many odes to DJs. DJs save lives. They can hype a crowd, unite a crowd, rock a crowd, calm a crowd. Due to their knowledge of music, they truly possess a unique power. After a career of spinning tunes, it is this most exquisite gift that prompted Darryl "D-nice" Harris to dream and realize Moods Music.


Moods Music, nestled in the soul of Little Five Points, is not your ordinary record outlet. At the respectable age of eight, the establishment is comparable to a fine wine shop. You come in. You enjoy the ambiance. You peruse the racks for that special gem. You check out the new. Reminisce over the old. Get recommendations of what would go well with dinner. Sample the goods. Chill and savor the flavor. Swap stories and exchange pleasantries with other connoisseurs. Hear about upcoming events to further whet your appetite. It's so cool. Additionally, no matter what day you visit, the cats behind the register know exactly where to find that obscure artist whose name you forgot but whose song you can't get out of your head. This is your destination for those hard-to-find grooves and the jams that you love that "don't be gettin' no airplay."


Yes, people still purchase CDs. Moods doesn't try to compete with itunes. Rather, it uses the electronic jukebox as an on-site tool to further promote its stock. I think that's a fine display of marketing savvy. In true entrepreneurial spirit, you'll also find incense, perfumes, lotions, candles, jewelry, t-shirts, and a cafe. LOL! I'm not complaining at all. I don't know anywhere else where you can find 100 sticks of incense for $5.00. Additionally, when I want to tempt my honey into the sins of the flesh, I dab on a scent called...um...Pussy. Thanks Moods.

This evening, as I walked down Euclid Avenue with my best friend, we dipped into Moods to scope out some jams and ended up staying for a live concert. The artist was a neo-gospel singer named Sonya McGuire . Her voice and accompanying musicians reminded me of a cross between The Clark Sisters , Cece Winans and Jill Scott. The performance was awesome. The songs were heartfelt . Truly touching. At the end, we scooped Sonya's My Journey CD to add to the family collection. If you like the sample below or even if you just want to check out the spot (which I strongly suggest for any music addict), get yourself down there and tell them OutPast30 Lady sent you. Who knows. You just might spot me there one Sunday inhaling Nag Champa.

2 comments: