Friday, June 26, 2009

June 25th - Wine tasting @ WineStyles

Although I grew up within a stone's throw of Napa Valley Wine Country, I didn't develop an appreciation for wine until I started selling advertising. Working for a 100% commission-based salary in a den of liars, cheats and generally greedy people can drive the coolest head to drink. You start off tossing one back to take the edge off and then before you know it you're barreling towards professional lushery. Since I wasn't interested in developing a shake and everyone seems to admire a wine connoisseur, I decided that I would become one of those educated imbibers with a lovely collection of wine glasses and a pretty little wine bag for outdoor excursions into intoxication. While in Las Vegas, I went to more than my fair share of wine-tastings in which I walked around with my nose up, all warm-faced, attempting to get the jazz quartet to play A Night In Tunisia. I developed an affinity for Riesling and Merlot and learned what went best with shrimp, round steak, blue cheese or brie. However, last night in Atlanta, I received an excellent education at WineStyles.



WineStyles is a quaint little wine shop located off of the 285 on Cascade Road. Each Thursday at 7pm, WineStyles offers a tasting of eight selections with light refreshments for $10. It's nice. Very nice. You don't just walk up to the wine bottler with your glass and pretend you've been well versed in the art of wine appreciation for years. Instead you sit down at tables with fellow samplers and have an intelligent discussion about each of the selections (Silky, Crisp, Bubbly and Rich for whites and Fruity, Bold, Mellow and Nectar for reds) as you sample. For your convenience, you are provided with a list of what you are sampling so that you may take notes. The nerd in me was totally thrilled.


I don't mind passing on a few tidbits, especially to any of my male readers. (Men, please be up on your wine. A little knowledge goes a long way with the ladies.) All of the premium wineries in the world are located between 30 and 50 degrees latitude of the equator. Every vineyard has three components: a body of water, a valley and a mountain. (Sorry Pahrump, but you'll never go platinum.) Red wine gets its coloring from the skin, seeds and stems left in the barrels during fermentation. White Zinfandel is red for this reason. Red wine can have a life span of 100 years due to the tannins from the skin, whereas white wine has a life span of up to ten years. Tannins give the wine a harsher taste which is detected with the back of the tongue. Swirling or aeration of a glass of wine helps to release the alcohol vapors which softens the wine. A bottle with a screw top as opposed to a cork is called a "stealth enclosure." Wine is constantly fermenting which is why a bottle of wine can taste completely different after only three months. Finally, never hold a wine glass by anything but the stem or else any true sommelier will just think you're a poser.


Speaking of sommeliers... a special shot out to Ms. Mary and George for teaching us so much. I'm going to bring my boyfriend to the next tasting for sure. Also, what's up to Rameses, Dee Dee, Jennifer and Tanya (I hope I spelled your names correctly) and that cute couple sitting at our table. It was great to share this experience with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment