Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Into the Realm of 30-Something...

I first moved to Southern Nevada at the tender age of twenty-four. Come this April 30th, I will boldly step into the realm of 30-somethings as I celebrate my 31st birthday. Vegas is still as it was and how it will always be, a shallow smorgasbord of decadence, temptation, glitter and gossip….but my, how I’ve changed. Sure, I still enjoy the parties and I am still tantalized by the pulsating lure of the Strip. But, I’ve come to see the city with new eyes.

My cravings for jam-packed parties and dancing my day-old heels down to a nub have been replaced by a deep appreciation for fashionable networking events with complimentary booze and butler passes. The most treasured possession in my handbag is my business card holder instead of my lip gloss. Shameless flirtation with the cutest eligible bachelor in the room has taken a backseat to making a worthwhile connection in the world of Las Vegas movers and shakers. And finally, God help me, I have to take a damn nap before pulling an all-nighter.

Perhaps some women, on leaving the conveniently youthful confines of their twenties, may become melancholy. Some of the perkiness is gone. Junior sizes become a thing of the past unless you put yourself on some kind of a coke diet. Suddenly, there’s a random ticking noise alerting your body to procreate if you haven’t already done so.

Hmmm...

Honestly, I can’t complain. I look out over the Las Vegas Valley from the office window of my regular 9 to 5 and I feel like I finally have the right perspective. No, life is not an endless party of celebrity bashes, launch extravaganzas and grand openings…but I have the freedom and the intelligence to partake on occasion. I can appreciate the quiet confines of my Henderson residence just as much as I can delight in a good House of Blues concert or a lively round of Cupid Shuffling at Sam’s Town Live. Whatever I decide, I’ll keep you all posted with all the sordid details.….

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you know exactly who you are and have a wonderful life. I missed out on that in my earlier years... married & had a family while way to young. Make the most of it. The world needs people like you out there to keep it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. I LOVE you blog! (Totally my life... without the kid of course!)

    Keep blogging Out Past 30.

    A fellow Out Past 30-er,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete