Friday, January 16, 2009

January 16th - Blue Martini

I'm often asked where I get the energy to go to function after function...after function. I actually consider myself to be such a homebody! No one loves throw pillows and pajama pants more than I do. I knit and crochet. I have two cats who actually talk to me. I've watched entire seasons of America's Next Top Model on Saturdays. I ignore phone calls and text messages while Family Guy is on. I make up dance routines in my bathroom mirror. I love being at home! But I can't say "no" to adventure.

So when I got an invitation to Blue Martini from a good friend/business associate at about 3:00pm today, I just couldn't refuse. I'll sleep when I'm dead. Isn't life about living? Even though I'd worked late every day this week, I was determined to summon the energy to weather the storm of a Friday night at Blue Martini. Yes, my feets is swoll even as I compose this electronic missive, but I feel it was a small price to pay for the overall experience. I had a fine time. A fine time indeed.

For all of you local Las Vegans who haven't seriously hung out at Town Square, shame on you! This place was made for us! It's a combination of Downtown Disney, The District at Green Valley Ranch and Ceasars Palace all mixed into one without the endless C note sound emitted by slot machines and it's ours! Centrally and conveniently located just off of the 15 and 215 on Las Vegas Blvd, it features shops for all income levels, a play area for the kids, a kickass movie theatre and some very nice restaurants and bars including Blue Martini.

I've never once been to Blue Martini when there wasn't a crowd. If you are like Ariel and you want to go where the people are sans pain-in-the-ass drunken, breastmilk consuming tourists(see January 15th blog) , then this is your spot. I recommend scoring a table reservation and arriving between the hours of 4pm and 8pm any day. This is the time where drinks and food are half off. If you care to stay after 8pm and beyond, you'll be serenaded by live entertainment. Most attendees are spirited, good-looking, stylish 25-54 year olds of all colors, shapes and sizes. All martinis are served in their own individual shakers and the appetizers are pretty tasty. Another plus is that the waitresses actually wear clothing that covers more than just their nipples.

Sure you have to semi-shout to have a conversation with people standing in close proximity to you, but what the hey. It was a Friday night in Las Vegas. At lunch time, I walked with the sunshine on my face in the company of people that I both respect and love. I'm so in love with the man of my dreams ...and though he's far away I can feel him as if he's grasping my hand and softly kissing my cheek. Monday is a holiday celebrating the life and times of a true American hero; a fine example of how important it is to dream and to fight for that dream. Tuesday, we will swear in our first African-American president; a man who is intelligent, charismatic, inspiring and deeply in love with his wife and children. Oh Lord, life is beautiful! And even despite our issues with the economy, these are amazing times that we're living in, ya'll. So who am I to stay home on a Friday night catching the most recent episode of The Office on Hulu.com?

To all my fellow 30-somethings and up, don't be afraid to go play. Don't make excuses not to play either! Even if it's a BBQ in the backyard, a sip of wine after the kids have gone to bed, or cranking up the heater and streaking down your hallway, make time to be good to yourself and find every opportunity to giggle. It works wonders for the soul and makes your corner of the earth a little brighter.

Until tomorrow or whenever I find some hot mess to get into....

No comments:

Post a Comment